To participate in our discussion of So B. It, please answer three of the following questions by Monday, Feb 1st.
1. Heidi’s mama uses only 23 words, but she is often able to show what she wants or how she feels beyond those 23 words. Explain how Mama is able to communicate with Heidi and Bernadette.
2. How do you think things would have turned out differently for Heidi if Bernadette had convinced her not to go to Liberty? Do you think Heidi could have ever been satisfied if she didn’t try to find out about her past? Explain your answer.
3. Why do you think Heidi decides not to stay with Ruby and Roy, but instead to return and live with Bernadette after Mama dies?
4. Imagine you are in Heidi’s place. What would it be like to grow up with Mama and Bernadette? Would you have more or less independence than you have now? What do you think would be challenging and what would be enjoyable?
5. In Liberty, Heidi says she finally understands “there are some things in a person’s life you just can’t know” (p. 221). Explain how she has come to feel this way, as compared to earlier when she says to Bernadette, “A person has a right to know from the beginning” about her life (p. 39).